home | previous | next

Hendrie's Ice Cream

The Hendrie's name was incorporated in 1930 when Eliot Creamery Inc., the manufacturers of Hendrie's Ice Cream, leased an empty cracker factory at 131 Eliot Street in Milton. In 1940 the ice cream manufacturer expanded to open a Dairy Bar offering meals as well as ice cream treats. The company's demanding standards was echoed in their motto "test by taste." Hendrie's frozen dessert and ice cream business was eventually purchased by H. P. Hood Inc. of Charlestown. The factory at 131 Elliot Street is to be demolished and replaced by a mixed-use facility.