Milton Historical Society
Home | Archives | Come Join Us | Civil War | MHS Calendar | Articles | Curator's Corner | Postcards
 

About US

 

About The Milton Historical Society

Suffolk Resolves House, 1370 Canton Avenue, Milton MAThe Milton Historical Society is a non-profit organization, founded in 1904 to collect, preserve, publish and exhibit artifacts and records relating to the town of Milton.

The Suffolk Resolves House, 1370 Canton Avenue, Milton MA is the headquarters of the Milton Historical Society and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its significance in American political history.

Visiting

The Suffolk Resolves House is open to the public several times each year. For members, it is also open for special programs such as our winter lectures.

Please park perpendicularly along the private road off Canton Av Please do not park on Canton Avenue, often used by emergency vehicles, but instead park perpendicularly along the private road leading to our driveway. Of course, anyone needing a shorter walk is welcome to park in the circular driveway. The house has a wide front door with two steps, and a narrow back door with one step.

 

Why we’re here …

Belcher HouseMilton is a town rich in 400 years of history – stories of its people, places, and institutions.

In its earliest days, Milton was a capital industrial center. It has been home to five Massachusetts governors, including our current one, and is the birthplace of a US president. Milton housed the headquarters and track bed for the nation’s first commercial railroad. Of course, it’s also home to the Suffolk Resolves, which became the colonies' first collective statement against the British government, a precursor to the Declaration of Independence.

There’s so much more history that the town can boast, and is adding all the time.

But without the Milton Historical Society, who would there be to preserve such a rich legacy? And, to pass that legacy on to generations to come?

That’s what we do. And that’s why we’ve been here for more than 100 years!